Clark Red Modern tartan – magnet
Clark Red Modern tartan – magnet
The rebel cloth
Scotland is known for many things, like whisky, music, the occasional culinary item and so much more. However, when it comes to design nothing says 'Scotland' like a tartan. Even though the cloth was banned for decades following the Jacobite uprising of 1745, it has since gone on to become a symbol of the nation.
Cringe no more
While many see the rich cultural heritage of tartan as twee or parochial, and others bemoan it as a 19th Century invention, designers all over the world have taken inspiration from these woven wonders. The origins of what we now call tartan stretches back thousands of years. Known globally as a Scottish fabric, it is linked locally to the land and people all across the country. It's about time that we celebrated this most colourful of cloths.
About those colours
While the 'sett' or design of each tartan is unique, the colour palette can be varied. The typical tartan is called 'modern', which refers to the richly coloured chemical dyes that revolutionised the production of tartan in the 19th century. In the early 20th century, designers began to draw on a less glaring palette in an attempt to emulate early natural dyes. These tartans are called 'ancient'. A few decades later saw the discovery of buried Jacobite tartans, whose colours had been altered by their time in peat bogs. This gave rise to the colours of 'weathered' tartans. Lastly, there are 'muted' tartans, whose colours are more or less a muted version of modern.
About this tartan
This is the modern variant of Clark Red tartan, designed by Lochcarron in 2000. It is Scottish Register of Tartans #668.
Composed primarily of a large section of the tartan, the pattern will repeat depending on the size of the sett. Each line of thread is carefully drawn to replicate the tartan and is shown alongside a block palette of the colours used.
- Made in Scotland
- Digitally printed
- extra strong 1.5mm thick magnet
- laminated to give a glossy durable finish
FREE SHIPPING on all orders over £50 (UK orders only).
Orders are posted every Friday
Items are printed to order, so expect your order to take around 7-14 days to arrive. Items sent within the UK are sent Second Class or Second Class Signed For on larger value orders. Royal Mail aim to deliver all second class items in three working days. Non-UK orders are sent by Royal Mail and their international partner carriers and will take approximately 14-21 days to arrive.
Orders are sent Second Class or Second Class Signed for, depending on the order value. The shipping prices per order are the best I can estimate to cover the posting cost and packing materials.
Why I don't offer free shipping
As a small business, I source the products in my shop as locally and ethically as I can and I keep those products as affordably priced as possible when I sell them. Because of this – and because I pay my fair share of taxes – I cannot offer free shipping.
- A1 and A2 prints are posted rolled up in a mailing tube and are only ever combined in posting with A3 posters. Other items will be posted separately. If there is more than one print, they will be rolled together.
- A3 posters are posted rolled up in a mailing tube. If there is more than one poster, they will be rolled together. If your order includes additional items from below, the order will be posted in an A3 board-backed envelope, with the poster(s) bagged with an additional board back. If you order more than one poster and need extra sleeves and backs because they are presents, please note on the cart page how many extra are needed.
- Calendars are posted singly in a calendar envelope, apart from Beautiful Scotland calendars, which will be in an A4 board-backed envelope. Multiple calendars are sent in an A3 board-backed envelope.
- Mounted prints are posted in an A4 board-backed envelope for up to three, or in an A3 board-backed envelope for more. Any mounted print ordered with a calendar or A3 poster will be posted in an A3 board-backed envelope.
- Cards are sent in a A5 board-backed envelope for up to ten cards, or an A4 board-backed envelope for orders of over ten. Cards ordered with a calendar or A3 poster will be in an A3 board-backed envelope.
- Magnets are posted in an A6 board-backed envelope for up to three magnets or an A5 bubble envelope for four or more. Magnets ordered along with any of the items above will be in the relevant larger envelope.
Order more packing and posting materials
If you need extra envelopes or tubes, so that you can post items you order as gifts, you can buy some here.
You can make save money at Indy Prints when you buy three or more items, in the following groups:
Card, magnets and postcards
- Buy any 3 items and get 50p off your order – code: 50poff3
- Buy any 6 items and get £1.50 off your order – code: 150poff6
A3 posters, calendars and mounted prints
- Buy any 3 items and get £1.50 off your order – code: 150poff3
- Buy any 6 items and get £4 off your order – code: 400poff6
The savings are applied automatically at the checkout. Only one saving can be made per order, which will be the highest value saving.
Note, this discount may not apply to reduced price sale items.